Saturday, October 15, 2011

Granite selection

Today, I went up to IRG at noon to meet with my GC to select the slabs of granite for the kitchen. Once I got there, I verified that the Princess White was definitely the one that I wanted. Once it's in, it's final!
 
Matching cabinetry to granite

First we had the owner measure out the slabs. Then, using a lot of scrap paper, the GC and I calculated and diagrammed how to fit all the kitchen counters on to 2 slabs. Based on the price, he didn't want us to have to buy too much extra.

Then, with the GC's help, I was able to look at the entire pile of Princess White slabs available. It was a good thing too because the first 4 or so slabs had grey splotches. He thought that those splotches were unacceptable. The last 3 slabs were perfect - no big splashes of grey. So we reserved all 3! While the workers were moving the slabs, another couple were also looking at the slabs and commenting. I was silently hoping they weren't going to try to jump in and take the slabs I wanted. Thankfully they decided to go with the original blue granite at which they were previously looking before the slab moving.

As for price, IRG will not price match because they believe they have priced everything fairly for the quality.

So before we bought our slabs outright, I wanted to check up with Da Vinci Marble...the price different was almost $10/sq ft. To be continued...

No comments: